Thursday, October 13, 2011

An Opening Salvo.

I used to write a lot.
I wrote about politics.
Then, for over a year, I stopped.

The reasons were complicated.

First of all, my thoughts had become complicated. Writing is easy when you can confine yourself to being a “conservative blogger” or a “liberal blogger.” Your posts can conform to a simple formula, and you have an automatic fan base. The words come easily; the praise feels good. However, it’s a bit harder to honestly express your own thoughts, regardless of where they put you on the map of political, social, and religious subcultures. On a personal level, it’s risky.

I think I’m ready to risk it.

Secondly, I had turned my blog into an outlet of thoughts on politics, while my interests moved to other areas. I’m still a political junkie, and I still intend to write about politics. But if I’m more interested in muffin recipes or the design of residential subdivisions on a given day, I’ll write about those things instead. Or maybe I’ll just skip the writing and eat a delicious muffin. Hence this blog’s exceedingly ironic title. (LOL!)

Thirdly, I came to the realization that what I wrote didn’t really matter. I was essentially writing to feel some sense of importance, even while I knew I contributed 75% of my own page views. Now, I further realize that not mattering doesn’t matter. To heck with it -- I enjoyed reading my blog.

Finally, I became busy. That hasn’t changed. I’m still busy. But I realize that there are few things I truly love doing, and they’re worth doing. Writing is one of those things.

So, I plan on writing, and posting what I write on this blog. I won’t make promises about posting daily, or weekly, or monthly. There’s a good chance that I’ll end up abandoning this site, like a hairless kitten named Lil’ Scrappins. But even Lil’ Scrappins deserves a chance.

Follow your heart, little guy. Somewhere out there, there’s a home for you.

1 comment:

  1. Love it and I can't wait to read all about it! You go, Abe! And I'll enjoy reading your blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete